Who: Clay Greene vs. Sonoma County et al.
What: Embroiled in despicable legal battle of an inconceivable nature, which you will shortly discover
Where: Sonoma County, California.
When: April, 2008 - today
Why: Because there is evil in the world. Even in stupid sunny California.
Now, I did not actually set out to be a champion of LGBT rights, but come on people. This is getting seriously out of hand. Ok, I am going to try to power through this without hyperventilating, and/or too many unnecessary all-caps pontifications.
- Clay and Harold live together as partners for 20+ years
- Clay and Harold know they're getting on in years, and name each other as beneficiaries in their respective estates and assign each other as an agent in medical decisions
- April, 2008: Harold, 88 (not in great health to begin with), slips and falls on front steps
- Clay calls an ambulance and Harold is taken to hospital
- THE NIGHTMARE BEGINS
- The men's agreement is COMPLETELY IGNORED by the County
- County refers to Clay as a "roommate" and treats Howard in the hospital as though he has no family, revoking his powers of attorney
- County liquidates an investment account to pay for medical expenses
- County INVADES THEIR HOME, TERMINATES THEIR LEASE, AND SELLS 20 YEARS OF ACCUMULATED BELONGINGS
- County REMOVES CLAY FROM HIS HOME AND PLACES HIM IN A NURSING HOME AGAINST HIS WILL
- 3 months after initial hospitalization, Harold passes away HAVING NOT SEEN CLAY EVER AGAIN
- Clay now has nothing left of his life with Harold, and has been unable to recover any of their possessions, including pets who are most likely dead too
THIS IS SO NOT OK.
Clay is suing the following people/entities: A few specific members of the Sonoma County Government, including the Director of the Human Services Department, the Public Guardian/Conservator, and several Deputy Public Guardians; North Bay Auctions, LLC - the auction company that STOLE 20 years worth of belongings, some of which were actually quite valuable; and Agua Caliente Villa, the nursing home gulag where Clay was held AGAINST HIS WILL.
I went ahead and did some detective work, and you can read all about this so-called "assisted-living community." Purportedly, Agua Caliente Villa meets "
The rest of the article is basically about the county's defense strategy, which apparently is to lie.